- On 1st March 2019
- In Dredging, Sediment Management
- By William
William Coulet, director at Exo Environmental is an active member of the working group of the Central Dredging Association (CEDA) on Beneficial Use of Sediment (BUDM). Our expertise in the re-use of sediment made significant contributions to the two deliverables of the working group. Our specialist knowledge of coastal habitat restoration, sediment stabilisation and waste management has been used extensively throughout the BUDM work. The working group focused on five types of beneficial use.
- Redevelopment: Brownfield development, manufactured building materials
- Remediation: closure of landfills and mines
- Reclamation: increasing or raising lands
- Restoration: creation of habitat to support aquatic organisms and wetlands to improve water quality
- Resiliency: shoreline nourishment and reinforcement for climate change
To learn more, watch out for the two papers which are currently being drafted:
- An information paper that focuses on the design parameters for a range of beneficial use (BU) applications. It discusses socio-economic benefits, effective terminology, communication and strategic approaches to BU. It will follow up and expand on the recommendations and guidance given in the PIANC (2009) publication using lessons learned in the past 10 years.
- A companion position paper, which reviews the appropriateness of BU options relative to the ability to manage risk and create socioeconomic value.
The work carried out by the working group makes recent advances in technology and knowledge more widely available across the sector. It supports good practice and eventually improves sustainable processes and climate change adaptation.